Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Gooey Butter Cake

I have to share the cake I made to take to a Labor Day cookout. I found it on the internet, and thought this is the kind of thing you take to an event, not the sort of thing you want in your house. The name says it all. I remember thinking it was a recipe that would be very at home in Paula Deen's wheelhouse, but the recipe said that it was a midwestern thing, originating in St. Louis. But when I got home and realized I'd left the recipe at work, I googled it, and what should first pop up but Paula Deen's website. Maybe she didn't invent it, but she has clearly adopted it. I don't have a picture, and it wasn't especially pretty (I didn't add powdered sugar to the top since I figured it was rich enough already, and it was very beige). I intended to take a picture this morning to show you the little piece I have, all that's left of the 13x9 pan I made!

Gooey Butter Cake
crust:
1 box yellow cake mix
1 egg
1 stick butter, melted

filling:
1 pound (4 cups) powdered sugar
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, melted
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix together crust ingredients and press into the bottom of a greased 13x9 inch pan.
Beat cream cheese. Add butter, eggs and vanilla and mix well. Add powdered sugar and mix. Pour over crust and bake for 40-50 minutes. Crust should be lightly golden and center slightly gooey. Cool and serve topped with powdered sugar.

There was a pumpkin variation I may make once fall gets going: add a can of pumpkin, 1 tsp. cinnamon and 1 tsp. nutmeg to the filling.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE GOOEY BUTTER CAKE! Seriously, my favorite. It's pretty much like chess pie squares, right?! Mmmm! I love the pumpkin spin on it, such a great idea! I may have to do that... I'm resisting the urge right now to swip some up. ;)

    ReplyDelete